Monday, April 28, 2014

Final Blog Reflection

Part 1

I came into this course with a strong familiarity with various forms of educational technology and how they can be integrated into the classroom setting. In fact, many of the module topics, such as instructional software presentations, video integration, and social networking, that we were introduced to during the course of this semester were not new to me. However, the concept that has influenced my learning the most is the discussion of relative advantage. As someone who likes the bells and whistles of new technology and quickly dreams up ways that it can be used with students, I often fail to slow down and identify whether such technology tools are needed. In other words, I overlook the importance of identifying a relative advantage. So, while I did not learn much about the devices and software themselves, my experience in this class drove me to reflect on where and when each technology tool could be appropriately used to enhance both teaching and learning in the classroom.

I am confident that the work that I have produced for this class demonstrates a comprehensive mastery of the AECT standards. For example, almost every learning artifact that I created this semester meets Standard 2: Development. Many, if not all, of my learning products demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to develop instructional materials and experiences. Likewise, each artifact demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to use processes and resources for learning as outlined by Standard 3: Utilization. Referring again to my focus on identifying whether or not a relative advantage exists in the learning process, the work that I have produced for this course was not arbitrary but instead applied principles of problem analysis and formative and summative evaluation to render quality products as outlined by Standard 5: Evaluation.

Through the direct and tangential learning experienced in this course, I have grown in my ability to be mindful of existing or perceived learning and teaching needs. As such, I have also developed an understanding for a systematic approach to pairing technology tools with a classroom need. Contrary to stopping there, I have also come to appreciate the need to continued evaluation of the effectiveness of integrated solutions and the importance of recognizing when an initiative is not working and should be substituted with something else.

Such professional growth has infused my own teaching practices and thinking by making me a more reflective practitioner. Again, as a result of my newfound understanding and appreciation of relative advantage, I now integrate technology into my work not because it is fun but because it adds genuine authentic value to teaching and learning. For some, it makes learning more engaging. For others, it makes it more possible.

My understanding of theory along with educational psychology has driven such efforts along with the development of the projects and assignments I created in this classroom. With each subsequent project, evidence of a deeper understanding of appropriate educational technology integration became more apparent and played a larger role in the design of such projects themselves. Consideration of the SAMR model influenced everything I created as a student in this course and the instructional strategies that I leveraged as a teacher during this timeframe. As I continued to develop and grow this semester, I noticed a more critical and evaluative practitioner’s mindset to develop within me. I believe that such transformation in approaching technology integration will serve me well in my professional practice and continued program study.

Part 2


Though I erred in minding some of the project details in the work that I produced in this course, my blogging did not suffer. Rather, I was very cognizant of the importance of synthesizing my new learning with my existing content area knowledge in each individual blog post. As you have seen, each blog post was rich in content supported by thought and genuine insight. Naturally, each blog post bridged the gap between theory and real life applications, demonstrating a depth of understanding and attention to detail. Additionally, each blog post incorporated resources from course texts and self-discovered readings to support my thoughts and findings. While my consistency with APA style was inconsistent, that does not reflect an inadequate understanding of course content, but a lack of consideration for the formalities of academic writing. And finally, in addition to publishing well-thought out blog content, I also offered insightful commentary on my classmates’ work as well. It is my hope that such support led them to develop their understanding of technology integration in the same way that my cohorts’ comments did for me. Of the 140 points possible for the final blogging grade, I believe that I deserve 130 of them.

1 comment:

  1. Great final reflection, Dave - many of us do get excited about the bells and whistles (now I am finding it to be AR with lots of potential but needs further development) - and the goal of the course was not necessarily to learn new tech, but learn to use tech with strategic intentionality - which hopefully will carry over into other parts of your tech life :)

    ReplyDelete